steve's White Mountain Blog

head_left_image

The Story of Moxie the Bear...is a White Mountain New Hampshire tale.

You may have to be from the North East to have the slightest clue about what Clark's Trading post is.


                                                                                                                                                              

But one thing it isn't is a prison for wild animals. I have often written about Clark's and other "Attractions" that are located in my home town. Many are State parks...hikes and yes a few tourist venues. But Clark's is different, and I'll tell it from the stand point of a lost bear...with little chance of survival. Here We go the "STORY OF MOXIE" starts in the woods of Vermont with an abandoned bear, who if nature had taken it's natural course wouldn't have lived to tell this tale.I used to see the "cubs" walking on a leash from across the street from the trading post...back to the pens and family homes of the Clark's. Working on the Forth Generation of Family members...turned bear trainers - you can see the commitment 365 days a  year.

While I believe in the State Motto “Live Free or Die” saving a baby bear from a death sentence does not apply to that same sentiment. Thanks to the Clark Family for the great Attraction - which I visit every year and thanks for saving Moxie and so many others

   
When can I drive Papa? Like every bear in the family you'll learn in time there Moxie.



It's always a good time for a Picnic at Clark's - But I suggest you keep an eye on our Lunch (and picnic basket)

This shot was taken in 2010...Moxie was 25 years old then (Spooky is along for company)...most bears in the wild never reach this life span. Pretty good for a sick orphan bear found in the woods...don't you think?

It's not all man made attractions, far from it- if you hike, bike, ski, kayak or camp this is a great place to live.

 

Lincoln New Hampshire is 95% Federal and State forest land leaving just a mere 5% for all other living and working activities. The Flume Gorge (shown above) is Part of the Franconia Notch state park and I visit that beautiful natural wonder at least once a month. Loon Mountain ski resort is mainly located on Leased land from the Federal U.S. Forestry service and I try to ski every week during the winter season, Lincoln-woods accesses the Pemigewasset wilderness area as well as the Appalachian Mountain trail. The Kancamagus scenic highway starts in Lincoln and heads over a high mountain pass eventually leading to the east edge of the state and Conway NH. Sure there are some other “attractions”…the Whales Tale water park; zip line adventures and lost river caves are just a few. But what makes this area of the White Mountains so special for me and many of the second home owners who have found there way to this little valley is: this Place has “MOXIE”.

 

Looking for real estate in the area give me a call or use the MLS link below.

 

 

 


                       

                                                                                                                                                                              Your-White Mountain New Hampshire real Estate Expert

                    steve@alpinelakes.com toll free 800-926-5653 /cell 603-381-7898

                        MLS search and Realtor web site: www.alpinelakes.com

                         My outside Blog: www.steveswhitemountainblog.com

                    Lincoln NH &  Local interest site: www.localism.com/nh/lincoln

    Grafton County NH MLS search

Comment balloon 39 commentsSteve Loynd • February 22 2013 06:54AM
The Story of Moxie the Bear… is a White Mountain New Hampshire tale.
share
You may have to be from the North East to have the slightest clue about what Clark's Trading post is. … more
Property inventory melts like Snow in the Mountains of New Hampshire
share
It’s Presidents’ Day once again, and in the White Mountains that means skiing. It also usually means the end of snow making and the beginning of profit taking in the ski resort industry. School vacation weeks bring much needed revenue and… more
Selling Real Estate in the White Mountains of New Hampshire
share
We work so hard to stay up to date on the latest on-line methods of exposure as Realtor's. I am on-line everywhere promoting my sellers listings and I choose to be my authentic hike in the woods and share the photos self as well. The great thing… more