An Application has been filed for a Presidential permit, on behalf of Hydro-Quebec.
These are the opinion of the author – feel free to voice your own.
I only needed to attend one Public meeting to hear enough for my decision...we don't need you nor want
you in our state.
The Department of Energy will review an Environmental impact (draft) statement, prepared by hired engineers and other on behalf of the U.S. government. The Application seeks to run a high voltage D.C. line 180 miles over ground through New Hampshire. Most of the line will use existing right of ways over the Public Service (ROW) but there are places that land purchasing or "forced" eminent domain taking of land may be employed to complete the 180 track south.
Here are some of the issues I have with this application: Current A.C. lines over I93
1) All alternatives route have not been adequately studied (Vermont has existing power lines that could be looked at) many have asked about burying the lines underground (which is a significant increase in cost).
2) The Appalachian Mountain club is against the "preferred" route which crosses over this pristine wilderness trail.The New Hampshire state forest and national forest will have these transmission lines passing through them. Our state's revenues count on a significant amount of Tourism dollars coming in to the state.
100 ft+ High Voltage D.C. towers
3) By all accounts this Northern Pass project does irreparable harm to all known species of wild life that make the White Mountain national forest and surround areas their home, and the migratory birds who nest and raise their young in these parts. These lines hum and bang loud enough to scare away feather and fur from a distance.
4) Health concerns have not been adequately studied, by some accounts the incidence of childhood leukemia spikes in areas near these type of power lines...and the route comes with in 500 feet of dozens of schools, where children spend seven or more hours a day.
5) The visual blight is a huge concern, the existing power lines in the Public service right of way average 40 feet in height...theses are awful to look at, but they provide power to New Hampshire customers and are A.C. lines, not the voltage of the proposed 85 to 140 foot Steel towers required to hold the high voltage D.C. lines. Katie Rose
6) Real Estate values, we have to think beyond the not in my back yard attitude. Yes not everyone will be affected by the Northern Pass...many of us wouldn't see these lines at all. But as the Grafton County Registrar of Deeds pointed out at one public hearing: we will all suffer from diminished real estate taxes, transfer tax collected in county's affected by the power lines, and property values of those homes anywhere near these power lines.
7) We don't need the power, depending on which report you read the amount of power slated to be used in the state most affected by the Northern Pass project will account for less than 9% over the next 7 years. This power which is being proposed to travel over 140 foot steel towers that will be seen for miles and miles is headed to other states.
8) Not addressed at all that I have heard (is just foot noted) in the application, which makes a vague reference to the fact that these lines could transmit power in either direction. If a private power company chartered in a foreign country has the right to provide power, restrict power or buy power from our grid -couldn't they manipulate the price of power and monopolize Americans business and power costs. They are a multi-billion dollar company, and have (by a lot of accounts) caused much negative environmental impacts in their own country.
If you live anywhere in New England, please voice your concerns to the Department of Energy, we need to turn down this application for a Presidential permit, from Hydro - Quebec.
Please- Click on the Picture of Katie Rose, and listen to her song with beautiful picutres of New Hampshire*
Live Free or Fry –We don’t need your power
We don’t want your business, Go Away!!
Please pass this message along; we intend to keep our state Beautiful
Please suggest this post, we need Maximum exposure to fight this foreign companies influence over our land and the north -east power grid.